Monday, December 19, 2005

Delhi Metro




Delhi metro is one thing that came very late to Delhi, it should have been there about 20 years earlier. This realization came to me more when I visited the Manhattan. The Manhattan must have a higher density that any place in Delhi, with all the high rise apartments and offices, but there are very few vehicles. The people use the underground railway. It is fast and cheap and connects almost all of Manhattan from one end to another. Rest there are Taxi's and parking is very expensive. Delhi should have learned from New York long time back. The traffic mess we c in Delhi now could have been avoided.

The way metro has been executed with tight deadlines, minimalistic disruption in traffic is something very praiseworthy. In old Delhi they acquired properties and bug underground to create the marvelous system. I am just waiting for the day when they come to south Delhi and then I can go and visit my relatives in old Delhi.

No comments: